by Heinz Tschabitscher
Updated October 20, 2016
Allow a sender you blocked, possibly by mistake, back into your Outlook Mail on the Web inbox.
The Emails Suddenly Stopped
After exchanging emails with a friend for a while, the messages suddenly stopped coming.
I was not sure what I had done wrong, and I was anxious for sure. My friend assured me that she had not stopped sending the emails. That helped relieve the nervous doubts—but it contributed to the mystery.
What was Outlook Mail on the Web doing or thinking?
Finally, it turned out Outlook Mail on the Web was doing nothing but what I had told it to do, albeit inadvertently. Somehow, my friend's email address had made it to my list of blocked senders in Outlook Mail on the Web. Fortunately, unblocking her was easy.
Remove an Address from Your Blocked Senders in Outlook Mail on the Web
To unblock an address and re-allow a blocked sender in Outlook Mail on the Web
- Click the settings gear icon (⚙️) in Outlook Mail on the Web.
- Select Options from the menu that has appeared.
- Go to the Mail | Junk email | Blocked senders category under Options.
- Highlight the address or domain name you want to remove under Blocked senders.
- You can highlight more than one entry at once: hold down Ctrl (Windows, Linux) or Command (Mac) to add and remove from the selection, and hold down Shift to select a range.
- Click the Remove trashcan icon (🗑).
- Click Save.
Unblock an Address Blocked with a Filter in Outlook Mail on the Web
To remove a rule that automatically deletes messages from a sender or domain (when blocking using the blocked senders' list was not possible) in Outlook Mail on the Web:
- Click the settings gear (⚙️) in your Outlook Mail on the Web's top navigation bar.
- Select Options from the menu that has popped up.
- Open the Mail | Automatic processing | Inbox and sweep rules category.
- Highlight the rule that deletes messages from the address you want to unblock.
- When you highlight an item, its details will appear to the right; examine them to make sure the right filter is selected.
- Click the Delete trashcan icon (🗑).
- Click Save.
Remove an Address from Your Blocked Senders in Windows Live Hotmail
To unblock a sender in Windows Live Hotmail:
- Select Options | More options… from the Windows Live Hotmail toolbar (or just Options if you use the classic version).
- Follow the Safe and blocked senders link under Preventing junk email.
- Click Blocked senders.
- Highlight the address you want to remove under Block Sender List:.
- Click << Remove from list.
(Updated October 2016, tested with Outlook Mail on the Web and Windows Live Hotmail in desktop browsers)